Minimalist in design though loaded with all the multimedia and connectivity features a modern living room requires, the Sony VIAO VGX-TP1 brings PC power to your TV while invigorating your interior design. Designed to blend with your modern home decor, the round, white VGX-TP1 comes equipped with a matching wireless keyboard and remote control, freeing you from the restraint of cables and tangled cords. But the VGX-TP1 is not just about form factor. With more and more television programs and movies becoming available for download--as well as videos from friends and family uploaded to sharing sites--the TP1 Living Room PC is a great way to enjoy an evening of video entertainment without having to huddle around a PC monitor.
You can also use the integrated NTSC (standard) and ATSC (digital) TV tuners in conjunction with Windows Vista Home Premium's Media Center capabilities to record programming (even in HDTV) directly to the VGX-TP1's hard drive. Vista also integrates new search tools throughout the operating system, includes new parental control features, and offers new tools that can warn you of impending hardware failures.
Frequently accessed features such as the optical drive, USB ports and multi-card reader are located on the front of the unit, hidden behind a curved slide-away panel, while constantly-connected terminals are hidden from sight on the back of the unit. For optimized video output to your LCD or plasma HDTV, it provides an HDMI connection that can transmit uncompressed 1080p video and 5.1-channel surround sound via a single cable.
Under the hood, VGX-TP1 s powered by the 1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T5600 processor, which provides an optimized, multithreaded architecture for improved gaming and multitasking performance. It also features an extra-large 300 GB hard drive, 2 GB of installed RAM (maximizing capacity), Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with up to 224 MB of shared video memory, 8x multi-format/dual-layer DVD±R/RW drive, 54g wireless networking (802.11b/g), multi-format Memory Stick reader, and a Secure Digital memory card slot.
* Processor: The Intel Core 2 Duo T5600 processor has a 1.83 GHz processor speed, super-fast 667 MHz front-side bus (FSB), and large 2 MB L2 cache. (An L2, or secondary, cache temporarily stores data; and a larger L2 cache can help speed up your system's performance. The FSB carries data between the CPU and RAM, and a faster front-side bus will deliver better overall performance.)
The Intel Core 2 Duo processor has two computational execution cores in a single processor, providing greater system response when running multi-threaded applications simultaneously with no significant increase in power consumption. It's optimized for multitasking and is ready to support the Microsoft Windows Vista operating system. It can simultaneously run multiple demanding applications--such as graphics-intensive games or serious number-crunching business productivity applications--while downloading music or running virus-scanning security programs in the background. Some of the advanced Intel innovations of the Core 2 Duo processor include:
o Smart Memory Access: Improves system performance by hiding memory latency, thus optimizing the use of available computer data bandwidth to provide data to the processor when and where it is needed.
o Advanced Digital Media Boost: Effectively doubles the execution speed for instructions used widely in multimedia and graphics applications.
o Dynamic Power Coordination: Coordinates Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology and idle power-management state (C-states) transitions independently per core to help save power.
o Deeper Sleep with Dynamic Cache Sizing: Saves power by flushing cache data to system memory during periods of inactivity to lower CPU voltage.
* Hard Drive: The huge 300 GB Serial ATA (SATA) hard drive (7200 RPM) offers a wealth of storage space--enough for storing up to 180 hours of television programming, a vast multimedia collection, or for editing digital video. This SATA hard drive also quickens the pace with a higher speed transfer of data--akin to FireWire and USB 2.0.
* Memory: The 2 GB of built-in memory (PC5300, DDR2 SDRAM, 2 x 1 GB) maximizes the capacity for this machine, enabling you to effortlessly handle a wide variety of multimedia tasks right out of the box. It also offers a top-of-class 667 MHz speed.
* DVD/CD Drive: The dual-layer DVD drive is compatible with a wide range of formats, including both DVD+RW and DVD-RW discs, CD-RW discs, and dual-layer (DL) DVD+/-R discs, which can hold up to 8.5 GB of data--great for backing up your MP3 collection or your most important documents. It features the following speeds: 4x for DVD+R DL, 4x for DVD-R DL, 8x for both single layer DVD+R/-R, 8x for single layer DVD+RW, 6x for single layer DVD-RW, and 24x/16x for CD-R/RW. It reads DVD-ROM discs at 8x and CD-ROMs at 24x.
* Keyboard & Mouse: Ergonomically designed to fit comfortably on your lap, the lightweight wireless keyboard with built-in touchpad also boasts a series of hot buttons including a web browser launch key, zoom in/out buttons and two additional programmable keys.
Video & Audio
Video is powered by the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950, which uses Intel Dynamic Video Memory Technology (DVMT) and provides up to 224 MB of shared video memory. The integrated audio card is compatible with Intel High Definition Audio, and an S/PDIF digital audio output is included. It also includes a high-definition digital cable tuner with NTSC (standard) and ATSC (HD) support.
Networking, Connectivity & Expansion
This desktop has an integrated 54g wireless LAN that's fully compatible with 802.11b/g wireless networks, enabling you to access the Internet and other computers on your home LAN without having to connect via Ethernet (though a 10/100 Ethernet port is also provided). It offers the following multimedia and I/O ports:
* 4 USB 2.0 ports for connecting a wide range of peripherals--from digital cameras to MP3 players
* 1 FireWire (also known as IEEE 1394 or i.Link) port for connecting digital video camcorders and other peripherals (4-pin connector on front)
* 1 HDMI output (for connecting to a compatible HDTV or home theater receiver for uncompressed digital audio and video via a single cable)
* 1 composite audio/video input (RCA jacks)
* 1 VGA monitor out
* 1 headphone jack, 1 microphone jack
* 1 S/PDIF digital audio out (for connecting to a home theater receiver for 5.1-channel surround sound)
* 1 ExpressCard/54 slot
* 1 PCMCIA (or PC Card) slot (Type II, PCMCIA R2.01, PC Card16, CardBus)
* Memory Stick slot (supports optional Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, and Memory Stick DUO media)
* Secure Digital memory card slot (also compatible with MMC cards)
Windows Vista Home Premium is the operating system for users with advanced computer needs, and it includes all of the Windows Media Center capabilities for turning your PC into an all-in-one home entertainment center for watching DVD movies and accessing your digital audio library. You can also use Windows Media Center to record and watch your favorite TV shows (even HDTV) and to access new kinds of online entertainment content. Computers that include Windows Vista Home Premium and an auxiliary Windows SideShow display will also allow you to access key data even when your computer is off. It is also easier than ever to share files between other PCs in your household and to manage your laptop computer settings to more securely connect via Wi-Fi.
Every edition of Windows Vista provides the essential tools and technologies to help protect you whether you are browsing the Internet, connecting to a wireless network, or just reading e-mail. All editions of Windows Vista include new tools that can warn you of impending hardware failures long before you have lost any important personal data. And, all Windows Vista editions include parental control features that allow you to manage and monitor your family's use of games, the Internet, instant messaging, and other activities.
Includes Sony Click to DVD (for easy DVD creation), Microsoft Works, Microsoft Office 2007 Student and Teacher Edition (60-day trial), Symantec Norton Internet Security 2007 (with 60 days of Live Update).
Dimensions & Weight
This PC measures 10.63 inches in diameter and 3.58 inches high, and it weighs 8.16 pounds.
The VGX-TP1 has a power consumption rating of 130 watts (maximum).
What's in the Box
This package contains the VGX-TP1 Living Room PC, remote control (with batteries), wireless keyboard, HDMI cable, HDMI-DVI adapter, wireless antenna, AV cable adapter, RF cable, AC adapter, and operating instructions. It is backed by a one-year limited hardware warranty, and Sony offers 1-year of toll-free telephone technical assistance.
With the presence of high-def TV screens capable of displaying 1080p HDTV resolutions (1920x1080, typically), the home desktop PC is no longer restricted to, well, the desk. It can be connected to a your living room widescreen TV if it has an HDMI port. Imagine browsing the web on a 40 to 60 inch TV screen, and also streaming (and downloading) audio and video files straight from the web. That's the concept of the Sony VGX-TP1 VAIO(R) Living Room PC, Windows Vista Home Premium. Easy to use and setup, the TP1 PC is packed with the latest hardware technology including an Intel Core 2 Duo processor, Windows Vista Home Premium operating system and a massive 300GB hard drive. Enjoy your favorite live and recorded TV and movies or surf the web from your couch with the immersive Windows Media Center experience that lets you navigate your content on screen, all controlled by a matching keyboard and remote control. The (approximate) 10.6" diameter chassis is designed to fit most home-theater component cabinets so it's a sure fit for your lifestyle. It even has a built-in High Definition digital cable tuner with ATSC and NTSC support. It's the future of PC ready for today. HDMI out (High Definition Multimedia Interface), DVI-D (through HDMI to DVI-D adapter), VGA out 802.11b/g wifi compatible RJ45 Ethernet port / Modem with RJ11 port 4 USB and 1 iLink port Memory Stick Media Slot (Supports Memory Stick(R) PRO and Memory Stick(R) Duo ); Secure Digital Slot Software included - Operating System - Windows Vista Home Premium; Internet Services - AOL 90-Day Risk Free Trial - For new users only; Microsoft Works 8.5; Microsoft Office 2007 60-Day Trial; Sony Original Software - Click to DVD - DVD Creation; Norton Internet Security 2007 60-Day Trial with spyware protection Unit Dimensions - 10.63 Diameter x 3.58 Height; Weighs about 8 pounds Supplied Accessories - Remote Control; Wireless Keyboard; HDMI Cable; HDMI-D